Piano Rims (rambling post)

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:01:33 +1100

Phil Ford wrote;

>Another comment about this.  I find it interesting
>that violins and guitars use very thin rims.
>Comparing a violin to a piano may be suspect because
>the violin is constantly having energy poured into
>it by the player whereas a piano gets one initial
>burst of energy which then is going to dissipate in
>some way and we have to be concerned about how.  But
>a guitar also gets an initial burst of energy and
>then no more, as in a piano.  You would think that
>guitar builders would be more concerned about energy
>dissipation than piano builders, but guitars have
>not evolved to have heavy rims (relatively speaking).
>Maybe they know something we don't.

Since you mention guitars, there are a couple of interesting local
luthiers who are gaining the attention of the guitar world. Greg
Smallman is making guitars with a cutoff across the 'waist line' of
the belly - the lower section only is active belly. The following
description is taken from Guitar Salon International's website;

The Australian luthier Greg Smallman has been responsible for a minor
revolution in guitar design bringing some subtle but important
changes to the classical instrument that have had a more profound
effect than those contributed by any other modern maker.

Central to Greg Smallman's design philosophy is the use of an
ultra-thin wooden top that is intended to project more efficiently
the sound of the strings. To this end he has abandoned the
traditional strutting under the guitar's top, and in its place uses a
flexible criss-cross "lattice" strutting made from balsa wood
reinforced with carbon fiber. Smallman ascribes some of his
engineering inspiration to a boyhood passion for building and flying
model aircraft, where a wafer-thin skin would be fixed to a
supporting skeleton.

The backs and sides of the Smallman guitar are unusually heavy and
are pressed from laminated rosewood [this particular Rosewood is an
Australian rain-forest species with similar density and strength to
Hard Maple] reduce the amount of energy that might otherwise be
absorbed from the top, yet again enhancing the guitar's projection.

Bernard Richardson, an expert in guitar acoustics who lectures at the
Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Wales
Cardiff, explains elsewhere in his book how Smallman's designs
increase the all-important stiffness-to-mass ratio of the soundboard
but keep the vibrating mass low, which permits an increase in sound
radiation. "Whether it is intentional or not, Smallman employs very
sensible engineering and acoustical principles to add stiffness but
reduce mass, which is exactly which is required," says Richardson.

For the full article, go to;

http://www.guitarsalon.com/learningcenter/bios/smallman.shtml

Another interesting and committed Sydney luthier is Gerard Gilet.
Gerard makes an acoustic guitar of his own design with a substantial
bent rim supporting the belly. Sting purchased a Gilet guitar during
a recent visit to Sydney. These are serious instruments worthy of
further investigation. Gerard's website can be found at;

http://www.giletguitars.com.au/

Happy new year to all,

Ron O

--