Stored Tunings v/s FAC

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:09:27 -0500

Sandersons told me that yes, most of the canned tunings were based on =
averages of some number of that model piano.

I don't really fully understand what is the point in this thread =
regarding canned vs. FAC vs. inharmonicity changes. I don't think it =
really matters which you use because you should always be listening and =
adjusting to make your ears happy. I test a bunch of octaves right after =
doing my FAC or using the FAC that I had last time and determine my =
major Double Octave Beat offsets right off before I even start tuning. =
But I guess I feel that regardless of what ETD you use, you will have to =
have some means of evaluating the calculated tuning and then making =
whatever adjustments may be appropriate.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Ross=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 2:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Stored Tunings v/s FAC

  Hi Wim,
  I wonder, are the canned tunings an average, of a multiple of the same =
model of piano? That would explain, why they may appear to be better =
than a fresh FAC.
  I still do a fresh FAC, and seldom have to touch it up. But at the =
University, with a bunch of one type, I do use the programmed ones.
  Regards,
  John M. Ross
  jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
    ----- Original Message -----=20