Universal Bass String Deadness

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:25:23 -0500

That's why I told Wim (I think) that I would try and keep some kind of =
track on this. I too am pretty sure that a couple of deadish ones were =
ones that were "right out of the box" - nice and bright, shiny, etc. If =
this is true, then perhaps the time spent in the trunk is not so =
traumatic - because basically, if you can't keep the universal string =
for a few years (so that you always have a replacement for those =
emergencies, etc.) they would serve no point at all. That is their one =
advantage - you can have a "?functioning?" bass string on the piano the =
day you are called and there is only one service call involved.

Those who do not use universals: Can I trust each installation of a =
custom made string (when replacement is needed ASAP) sees two service =
call billings?

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Maxpiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 6:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Universal Bass String Deadness

  In a message dated 12/23/01 2:35:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, =
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

    Now why in the world would a 6 - 8 month-old bass string in a box be =
useless, and a 20 year old bass string on a piano be expected to sound =
reasonably good?=20

  In my experience, universals that I have had for years work OK.  It is =
the smaller diameter universal strings (even "right out of the box"), =
such as #8 on up, that tend to be dead when I have installed them.  My =
guess has been that the problem lies in that universal strings have a =
relatively larger core and relatively smaller winding wire than standard =
strings, and that this thin winding then cannot grip the core properly =
in the smaller diameter universals - hence they loosen in the process of =
trimming and are dead when you tune them up.

  Bill Maxim, RPT
  Maxim Piano Service
  212 Newpark Place
  Columbia, SC 29212-8666