Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 00:25:16 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >In my post with the topic "Rocking Bridges", to which at the time of
> >writing you have not yet responded,
>
> Nor is there any reason for me to. With you maintaining that a string
> deflected by a finger will move the bridge but one deflected by a hammer
> strike won't, I see no point in continuing.
>
> Ron N

Well, it seems to me that if you can show that the the string vibration in
response to being excited by the hammer, is analagous in this regard to the
finger pushing down (or pulling up) the unision, then you have made the
proverbial very big point in your favour.  Dons suggestion of a strobe
light..... would that do it ?

But just saying it does so doesnt quite make it in my book. Nor does
apealling to some sense of common sense.  I too am tempted to think along
these lines, yet the opposition has made a point about unison strings
counter acting each other in this regard, and further even if one to some
degree yeilds this point as far as it is in this context drawn, it does not
automatically qualify this eventuallity as the primary force that drives the
sound board. That would take a full drawn out and qualified balancing of all
factors involved in producing the movement in the panel that result in
airborn soundwaves.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.