Universal Bass String Deadness

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:16:43 EST

In a message dated 12/23/01 2:35:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> Now why in the world would a 6 - 8 month-old bass string in a box be
> useless, and a 20 year old bass string on a piano be expected to sound
> reasonably good?

In my experience, universals that I have had for years work OK.  It is the
smaller diameter universal strings (even "right out of the box"), such as #8
on up, that tend to be dead when I have installed them.  My guess has been
that the problem lies in that universal strings have a relatively larger core
and relatively smaller winding wire than standard strings, and that this thin
winding then cannot grip the core properly in the smaller diameter universals
- hence they loosen in the process of trimming and are dead when you tune
them up.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
212 Newpark Place