Temperament, A pianist responds, and a tuner too

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:58:29 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tvak@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 7:44 AM
Subject: Re: Temperament, A pianist responds

| <<there are statements about WT being good for key color. >>
|
| Could it be that this is the basis of the attraction some have for HTs?
They
| do bring out a different shading for each key.  Perhaps this allows those
who
| don't have perfect pitch to experience hearing the "character of keys"
that
| those with perfect pitch hear all the time, regardless of temperament.
|
| Tom Sivak

The other problem with the argument for HT's is that most people listening
to a piano in an HT don't even know they are hearing an HT.  So how can
they hear a "different shading for each key"  or even the "character of the
keys"  ?  And if the HT's do bring out a "different shading" for each key
can you tell us anything specific about that shading for each key and which
HT does this?
    But first things first.  If HT's have such effect on piano music, can
you pick out a recording of the Beethoven sonatas that is in HT from those
in ET?  If so we can go from there.   Sooner or later it might be
interesting to see how HT's do in a blind test.
---ric