Modal Analysis (was Negative bearing (long))

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 20:53:33 +0100

Phil, read Wograms article from the 5 lectures and see what you get from it. I am going to take another look throught this weekend, but it seems to me that he is saying that you can do just what you point out below. Course I could be mis-reading but it seems like he is saying that changes, and significant ones between the loaded and unloaded situation are apparent... but are predictable.

On the side and off a bit into the mists of Avalon if I may..... I seem to remember hearing somebody throwing one of those Steinway stories at me years ago about throwing sand on an unloaded soundboard and putting a set of frequencies on the panel to see what pattern the sand went to... and then trimming, sanding, beveling...whathaveyou the panel appropriatly to achieve a certain pattern they had found led to what they considered the desired result... does anybody know anything about this... whether or not its just another one of those myths... It sounds essentially like a kind of modal analysis technique..

Anyways Phil... read Wograms article... its available on line ... if you need the address just give me a wink... and let me know what you think.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.