EBVT tunings

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 05:54:22 -0500

Ed,

<<I agree, clarity is one of the first things that customers notice
when taken out of ET.  At times it surprises me, as I have even heard
"clarity" used to describe music in keys with more highly tempered thirds
than ET.  >>

This is certainly what I hear. I can notice the faster thirds, but it blends
in so well that it is not a problem. Those more active keys still sound
better to me than ET.

<<Some people have differing senses of what is lost, so I am accustomed
to hearing my non-et customers react to an ET with words like "busy", or
'restless, or my favorite of all, "un-focussed"!.  However, it is worth
noting that a clinically accurate ET is a very distinctive sound in its own
right, and there is a lot of music that puts that particular sound to good
use.  >>

"Un-focused" is a great way to describe ET's characteristic. Not that it is
a bad way of tuning, because I can still enjoy playing in a well-executed
ET...even if it is a little "unfocused." :-)

<<The Victorian era is an efficient starting point.  I wonder if you
customer
 will care to continue farther back into the stronger contrasts of earlier
styles.  (You might mention that temperament represents
a continuum within itself).  Also,  I would be interested in what percentage
of your customer base do you think will want to change from ET?>>

Yes, it is possible that he would. With his interest piqued, he will
probably become more curious about other sounds that are possible. I must
devote the necessary time to learning various temperaments. I have
Jorgensen's book, so it is doable whenever I can find the time. I have only
a SAT II, so any HTs will be done aurally, which is fine by me anyway.

As to what percentage will change from ET...who knows for sure? Probably a
good many if I take the time to explain to them why someone would want to.
What I've been doing is just tuning EBVT on the cheap stuff, and mentioning
it to those who have the better instruments. For instance, I had a good
opportunity to tune EBVT yesterday. The piano is a regular, Kawai KG-5C,
which was sharp in sections. It sounded pretty bad, and they are needing it
for May 1 and May 11. Since I had to do a pitch lower anyway, and had some
extra time, I decided to do a one pass pitch lower/tuning with EBVT. Turned
out OK, certainly not what I'm capable of with a 2 pass tuning, but
definitely OK. I emailed the music director about the difference in tuning,
and told her to plink around with it to hear the difference. She is an
organist, with at least some knowledge of non-equal tunings. If she does not
like it, I have to retune the piano on May 1 regardless, so it is a good
"introduction." I bet she will like it.

Good to hear from you.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS