brass rail

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:57:42 -0700

Joe,
I haven't worked on one of those for a while, but as I remember....You =
need to take the hammer butt, in front of the damper lever, out. I think =
then you can access the screw that holds the damper lever on. Then, you =
can access the screw that holds the brass block w/spring. By the way =
those brass blocks w/spring attached are still available.
Regards,=20
Joe G.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe & Penny Goss=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 4:14 PM
  Subject: Re: brass rail

  Hi Joe It is a Kimball About 1910 or so.
    The repair springs were attached to the hammer spring rail to give =
the broken springs for the dampers a chance to dampen.  The wire used is =
too stiff so these notes are rather stiff.
  =20
  The dampers that still work have springs attached in the usual maner.
  What I need to know is how to take off and replace the dampers when =
the slot that is in the brass rail is covered by the wood of the damper =
lever.
  It looks as though one needs to remove the hammer spring rail and take =
out the dampers and hammers in a section then the dampers will be able =
to move forward enough to  get a screw driver on the screw.
  There are only two screws attaching each rail section to the action =
wood rail.
  Joe Goss
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com