new strings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:08:23 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/01 6:51:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
hallie58@yahoo.com writes:

> This is certainly not a new question - but I need some
> new ideas - what do you do when you tune regularly (4
> times/year) for a piano teacher who teaches ALOT of
> students - and a string breaks, so you replace it -
> you tell her that the new one will be out of tune
> tomorrow - she understands that, but every two weeks
> the out-of-tune  string is driving her nuts - she
> would like to buy a tuning hammer and fix it herself,
> but I know that if she touches anything inside the
> piano, she will break it (she is extremely impulsive,
> almost hyper).  Do I just mute it off until it
> streches and tell her that she simply has to live with
> two  muted notes (in this case it is a bass bi-chord),
> or is there some other trick I don't know about?  I
> kept pulling it (way up) when I was there, but that
> lasts about two days, in my experience.
>
> P.S. She doesn't live around the corner - maybe 10
> miles away - she also sends me a TREMENDOUS number of
> referrals - I DO want to keep her happy.
>
> I appreciate anyone's input.
>
> Harriet

Harriet

If she is supplying you with a lot of customers, I think it would be to your
advantage to keep showing up. To keep her happy, I would suggest you plan it
in your schedule to stop by her house every week for a while, until the
string settles in. This way you don't feel inconvenienced, and she knows
you're looking after her.

Stretching the string high will help, and perhaps you can mute it off, but
that only hides the problem. Again, by taking the proactive approach will
keep her happy, and will keep her supplying you with more clients.

Willem