new strings

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:28:45 -0400

Newton and Roger make some good points.

Splicing the string would be my first line of defence. If the splice fails,
replace.
For bass strings make the splice with a wire 1 size larger than the original.

On a quality piano, I would opt for replacing both strings of the bichord thus
reducing possibilities of a mismatch in the harmonics. However, if a splice
will hold and the customer is not put off by a small knot in the wire;
I would leave it at that.

One benefit of a splice is that the overall look of the strings is not
disrupted by
a shiny new wire and the tone will match. Also the string does not require as
much post installation tuning.

If you don't know how to make a splice, there is an explanation and a jpg here:
http://mmd.foxtail.com/Pictures/knot.html

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.