General information

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:28:16 -0500

To answer your question, read the notes that passed between Theodore
Steinway and Herman Helmholtz.  Then let me know where you found them
so I can read them.

You said your field is "Structural Optimization",  I would like to ask
if this has anything to do with finding out the physical limits of
physical entities, or the optimal sizes of physical entities.  There
must be the smallest and the largest structure that can fly. Out of
that which is the most "efficient" and how do you define "efficient".
There must be an optimum size for a rail road train.  Would it be on a
four foot track or a 40 foot track?  What better place to ask than
"Aerospace and Ocean Engineering Department."  Maybe we should ask you
what the piano in Atlantis was like?

    That's about as far with humor I should go since "dear old Dad"
has a degree from VPI. ('42)   But I would like to ask since you are
"a passionate amateur pianist" , how often do you have your piano
tuned?   Your tuner should be able to give you a few pointers to get
you started in your quest.  Or , well it isn't VPI anymore (I think Va
Tech) but what ever, the school must have a piano tuner and he/she
could get you into the basics.    Many life times and many
manufacturing concerns have been committed to your question.
    If there were a university course of study I don't see why it
shouldn't take more than two semesters to get a knowledge base of what
you are after.  I don't know but I wonder if the same questions  you
ask of the piano can be asked of the electric motor?  That surely is a
quesion VPI has the resources to address.    ---ric