Kimball touch weight

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:53:46 -0500

List

I'm replacing the hammers on a Kimball player grand about 5'2". I chose =
the Abel lights mainly because of the success I've had with them in the =
past on other small grands. The action is the old Thayer style. The =
wippens have no rep. spring adjustment screw. The touch weight with the =
original hammers averaged 30g down and 10g up. The new hammers as =
sampled almost eliminate the down weight. Talk about light! The action =
has been gone through and new key bushings installed. Friction/pinning =
done.The keys have 4 to 5 1/2 oz weights in front of the balance rail. I =
know I'm in for a touch weight project, but I can't spend a lot of time =
at this. The money situation is very tight. The piano is a gift and the =
children are interested in piano. A quick fix is out of the question. I =
was wondering if anyone has a trick or two for just removing the =
original key leads and moving them to get this thing to work. I'd like =
to end up with a touch weight of about 45g. Does this sound reasonable?

Paul Chick