Natural Beats

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:05:33 +0200

Tony Caught wrote:

> Richard,
>
> As I said before, I think (sometimes) that because I am basically self
> taught, nobody told me what not to listen for so maybe I am not crazy.
> Don't know what it is but imagine it to be the 4th and 8th harmonics beating
> with the 2nd and 4th harmonics of the octave above note.  You were talking
> before about an ETD that you could use on two sets of partials at one time.
> Maybe that is what it is for.

My thoughts about a multipartial display are very much along these lines...
looking for things that we havent really looked at. Todays tuning theory is
still very much limited by the fact that we really take concern to one partial
at a time. ETD's are severely limited by this (read below before reacting to
that line ok?) , and ear tuners are taught to aurally "zoom in" on one partial
at a time for any given interval.

That basic approach works really well as I am sure just about everyone aggrees
with. Even tho I say this limits severly what an ETD can do... this limitation
is no worse then that said ETD's can give you the frequenices for a tuning that
will be better in most regards then a large proportion of the aural tuning
community is capapble of. This to me just means that the ETD's are ...grin...
better educated then those aural tuners who cant do as well. The idea that an
ETD can inherently and in general always "hear" better then the human ear to my
mind is ludicrous... and in any case way to over simplified an explanation for
whats going on.

But I am begining to wonder now whether or not  there is something beyond just
matching two partial ladders going on here...As for you being crazy or
not....hey...you are from down over arent you ??? :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.