I got the Bureaucracy Blues

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:39:03 EDT

Having dealt with the nightmare of workman's comp let me add my 2c worth.

Being forced to buy WC would not surprise me at all. It is a government
sponsored scam and as such we often have little choice if we wish to stay on
the legal side of things.  But insurance is about controlling risk in all its
permutations.

If you do get stuck with this bill be sure you get yourself classified as an
"office machine repair person" and not a piano rebuilder.  The former better
describes what we do and the risks we take than the latter, which doesn't
exists.  You will usually get thrown in with engine rebuilders or equipment
manufactures where the risk of injury is so much higher.  I cut my rate by
nearly 90%!!!  Outside of hearing and muscle problems I don't know of anyone
seriously injured in this line of work.  My kitchen can be riskier than my
shop.

Andrew Remillard