Bummer Old Upright and loose tuning pins

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:39:33 +0000

Charles Neuman wrote

> I also have a question about driving the pin further in. I think of the
> pin like a screw in a threaded hole. My initial reaction to the idea of
> driving it in futher is that it would strip all the threads. Help me out
> here.

The pins were driven in during the stringing process already.  Where screw
threads must exist to resist a pulling out force, the force on a tuning pin
is sideways.  Tuning pins are angled away from the string slightly to create
the downward force to reduce any tendency to pull out, and to make the tuning
hammer better clear plate or case parts. The threads do help get the pin out
when replacement time comes and provide additional roughness to hold the
pin.  If the threads in the wood are stripped, simply add pressure to one
side and the threaded pin will still come out.
-Mike