Fw: Chickering brass flanges

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:21:44 -0700

 Wim
   =20
    If it were me I'd give up on the brass convert it to standard wooded =
flanges at least on the hammer rail.   You can probably attach the new =
wooden (real) flanges ones to the existing rail via the current machine =
screw application.  I believe that Pacific Piano in L. A. now has wippen =
replacements for these( Brass albatrosses)old ones.  If the existing =
rails don't work fabricating new ones isn't that tough and you can kiss =
your brass goodbye!
   This repair leaves no question marks,ifs ands or butts of any kind.
  My very biased opinion is that you can spend more time fussing with =
the brass than it's worth and still have an iffy outcome!
       Good day

   Dale Erwin

=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2001 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Chickering brass flanges

In a message dated 4/6/01 7:10:01 PM Central Daylight Time, =
JIMRPT@AOL.COM=20
writes:=20

  Wim;=20
  If you will recall two years ago (?) I reported on a Chickering =
rebuild=20
  with=20
  a set of these thingees.  There were numerous cracked hammer flanges =
and=20
  all=20
  of the rest were very brittle. I annealed the ones without cracks and=20
  verrrrry carefully annealed and silver soldered the ones with cracks.  =
=20
  Results so far on the work is that this piano is used by three =
youngsters=20
  taking music lessons and so far is standing up very well...i.e. no =
cracked=20
  flanges. :-)=20
  Jim Bryant (FL)=20
  Note: This work was a "restoration" vs a 'rebuild' and that is what =
lead to=20
  the effort to save the flanges.=20

Jim=20

Are you willing to take on another one of these jobs. As far as I can =
tell,=20
none of the flanges are broken. When finished, the piano will be used in =
a=20
recording studio. Although it will not be used all the time, it will get =

heavy use. Do you think the annealation will stand up to this kind of=20
playing, over a long period of time. The recording studio is owned by =
two=20
young guys, with great expectations. The piano belongs to one guy's =
mother,=20
who is willing to give them the piano if they pay for the restoration. I =
want=20
to replace the shanks and hammers, and restore the wippens. This piano =
will=20
also get a new pin block and strings and a new finish. From what I can =
tell,=20
it will be hell of sounding piano. I just don't want to have them spend=20
$12000 only to have the hammer flanges crap out on them in a couple of =
years.=20
Therefore, I wonder if this treatment is long lasting, or as Paul said,=20
doesn't really have any effect at all.  =20

Wim=20