Chickering brass flanges

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:26:46 EDT

In a message dated 4/06/2001 10:01:16 PM, PRJ wrote:

<<"Generally, heating brass does little more than make it hot;">>

Paul yes this is true unless you get the brass hot enough to rearrange the
molecular structure. This process is called "annealing" and is a well
accepted technique for metals and glass. You can't just get it "hot".......
you have to bring it almost to the point of melting before this change
happens.  An old 'brittle' piece of metal will become mallable and lose most
of the britlleness that comes from work hardening and or age(?). There is
quite a bit on this subject in the archives if you can ever find it! :-)

<<"the addition of
solder is new to me and deserves some time to see the longevity.">>

This is/was new to me also and I will be as interested to get a few more
years behind the procedure.................... The point needs to be made
though that I did not just use "solder" but rather used 'silver solder' which
is a much stronger material/method than any, or at least most, of the more
common "solders".
Jim Bryant (FL)