To tune or not to tune?

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT)

This experience might amuse you.  Some years ago when
I was younger and greener I went to service a piano
for a very old lady who had an even older piano.  As I
ran my hands over the keys it sounded like elastic
bands pinging at milk bottles!  I tentatively asked
when it was last tuned and after a long pause she said
"My late husband played it in the street at the
Coronation!"

I exclaimed that it must have been 1953 and she
replied that she meant King George VI (1937)  Of
course it didn't need tuning - it needed burning! -
but as she was a nice old lady I didn't charge her
anything.

Now I am older and wiser and ask the right questions
on the telephone.  If there is any doubt at all, an
inspection might be arranged for which they pay a
charge (deductable if the work is carried out)  At
least if the piano is a write off you still get paid
for your time.  Nevertheless it is still irksome when
it happens. Of course it always helps on these
occasions to give advice and tips on choosing a piano
and always offer to inspect a prospective purchase
before they pay for it.

best wishes,

Bob Wilson, London.