Chickering brass flanges

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 21:55:41 EDT

Wim:
My take on the nature of the brass flange breakage is that you are not
looking at the failure of the brass per se. It is a very stable alloy,
particularly if it is alpha brass (less than 34%zinc). What you are looking
at is the result of fracture mechanics, of the constant impact of the pin on
the surface of the little brass plate eventually causing a fracture point
which finally gives. I read Jim Bryant's reply with great interest, and will
be even more interested to see how long these treated flanges last.
Generally, heating brass does little more than make it hot; the addition of
solder is new to me and deserves some time to see the longevity.
PR-J