To tune or not to tune?

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:23:36 -0500

Phil,

I have little appointment slips for the phone that I made up and have been using
for years.  When a potential client calls I simply ask questions and fill in the
blanks as they talk.  Name, address, and so on are obvious.  Then I have one for
"type of piano" which includes how old is it and "what type of service does it
need" to clarify if there are any other problems.  Date and time for the
appointment are at the bottom and detailed driving instructions go on the back.

The point is, by using this format I learn everything about the piano up front.
I ask how old is it, when was it last tuned, and are there any other known
problems.  If the piano turns out to be an old upright that hasn't been service
in years I warn the client up front that:
1.  If the piano is exceptionally flat or otherwise badly out of tune then I
will be required to do a pitch raise which will have an additional fee.
2.  If the piano is bad or requires considerable work it may not be possible to
continue.  If they choose not to pursue any further services upon my inspection
there will be an appropriate fee for my time.

NEVER give a service away.  If you take the time to drive all they way out and
find a worthless pile of junk you deserve compensation for your time and the
mileage.  Ask yourself this:  If you see a doctor and he says there is nothing
wrong with you does he let you leave without a bill?  (And most doctors don't
make house calls these days).

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV