Need info on old Knabe

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:01:17 EDT

In a message dated 03/24/2001 1:52:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> Is there a secret to refinishing rosewood? I heard that you don't lacquer
>  rosewood, that you just use tung oil. Any truth to that?
>
>  As I said, she wants the original legs, or legs that look as original as
>  possible. Does any one have pictures of an old Knabe with original legs?

Wim, I'm replying to the original post. I have a client with a rosewood 6'3"
Knabe from 1899. Or I should say, semi-rosewood, as the case and fallboard
were rosewood, and the rest of the piano was excellent faux-grain. I mention
this because you said "the finish is fading. Some parts of the case and top
are a dark red, others a lighter brown."

At the time of the rosewood pianos, a lot of finishes were French polish
(shellac) which is an excellent choice for the oily rosewood, as it seems to
seal it well. You also see some shellac overcoated w/varnish. This particular
piano was shellac. Oil finishes on rosewood tend to darken considerably (too
much) with age.

I will ask the customer if he has any pictures of this piano. Maybe I can
scan them in if he does. Unfortunately, I am not due to see it soon, as I
just visited it in December. My memory is that the legs were tapered hex- or
octagonal, but I'm not sure.  Is the music desk original?
Bob Davis