Pin fluids..was-- Bridge caps

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:58:55 EDT

<<"Jim:
Would you then consider using varnish as driving fluid on a restringing job
where you are reusing the old block?  With what effect?
David Love">>

David, yes.  I would, with all the other parameters of reusing a block being
satisfied, there would be no reason not to......at least that I can think of.
:-)

 Though I've not given it much thought there 'might' be more benefit to using
something on a repinned block than on a new block. With the almost inevitable
crushing/flaking/spalling done while removing old pins,
cleaning/reaming/redrilling the holes in the old block I would 'tend' to
think that any relief for the wood fibres would be beneficial. Since driving
fluids seem to 'temporarily' lessen these stresses it would seem that careful
use of old blocks could only be aided by using them. I use them on any old
block that I re-use and just never have thought as to exactly why it would be
beneficial. :-(
Jim Bryant (FL)