Hex Core Inharmonicity

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:00:36 +0200

>      Richard Brenke wrote:   that would seem to me to make the
> string tend towards
> being less stiff... which would raise the inharmonicity.....
> but...     Richard, wouldn't a less stiff wire result in
> "lower" inharmonicity?  Could you perhaps tell me where I'm
> wrong on this? I was under the impression that inharmonicity
> goes up as the shorter segments of the wire vibrating at the
> higher partials becomes proportionally thicker, thus
> stiffer.  Kevin E. Ramsey
> ramsey@extremezone.com

Sorry... brainfart again... shoulda read "lower the
inharmonicity"... which when I think of it makes me even a bit
more confused as to just why inharmonicity is higher in hexcore
bass strings.

This also brings up another question in my mind about stiffness
in general... I can easily see how lengthing a string will make
it less stiff.... but its difficult for me to see how increasing
tension will do the same.

Now I got TWO unanswered questions... arrggghh..

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.