broken screw

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 20 May 2000 00:10:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul <tunenbww@clear.lakes.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: broken screw

> I got called in to repair a cross-threaded cap screw that Young Chang ( I
> think) uses to hold the legs on their grand. No luck finding a replacement
> screw, but the hardware store clerk said he could make a "tap" out of the
> original. He ground a small groove just to the right of center on the
> leading edge of the cap screw to form an auger point, just like the new
> auger point self drilling wood screws. I ran it back in to the piano. It
> cleaned the threads in the T nut and worked beautifully to smooth the hole
> and threads. I've tried this trick with other jammed threads and found it
> work well in most cases.
>
> Paul Chick

This sounds really interesting, but I am kinda lost.     Cap screw.....  A
cap screw is......?       So from the cross threaded screw he ground a small
grove.    What did he grind with?   A moto tool? or a bench grinder?  Would
a triagular file work?  "just to the right of center on the leading edge of
the screw"   If the screw is round, where is the "right of center" ?  Did he
grind the grove verticaly or horizontaly?  To make a tap I assume he ground
verticaly across the threads?   Intersting idea, if grove is vertical.   So
it really makes a tap if I am imagining right?    ---ric i magen