NPR: (not piano related) computer help needed...

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:45:58 -0500

>Problem is, they can't use a pub file.  They asked if I could send it to
>them in a jpg, gif, eps, or bmp file.  Is there a way to convert what I have
>to what they need?
>
>Anybody got an idea?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Brian Trout

My wife's a graphic artist (and I'm her programmer/tech
geek/troubleshooter), and in her world, this is about as common as the "is
it plugged in" tech support question. The proprietary native file format of
any program can only be read by the program, and in the specific version or
later, that generated the file. Any graphics or DTP program worth the disc
storage space and the wait to boot, can export a working file to a more
universally acceptable format such as .eps, jpg, gif, tif, or whatever. I'm
not familiar with Microsoft Publisher, so I don't know what the
capabilities are in this direction, but you need to look at the "export"
options under the "File" menu category to see what you have to work with.
"Save as" might get you there too, as already mentioned, but "export" is
probably your best bet. If you don't have options for exporting to
something other than the restrictive native format, you might consider
dumping MSP and exploring another program that is more compatible with the
rest of the world. The deeper you get into this kind of stuff, the stranger
it gets, and the more you need software that doesn't unnecessarily limit
your options and cripple your capabilities. The ability to exchange files
between different programs is one of those things that, from the very
beginning, was universally recognized as necessary and desirable,
advertised as a feature, and not generally successfully implemented in
computer software.

Unnecessarily sad (in my opinion), but inescapably and annoyingly true.
Been there WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many times, and have the scars to prove it.

Ron N