need advice please...

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 16 May 2000 15:54:57 -0400

Terry,

It's good to have a supply of used ivories on hand.  If you can't get some
from someone else, Schaff used to sell them by the dozen; maybe they still do.

I always tell the customer I won't be able to get an exact match, although in
a few cases I got very close.  Show them what it will look like before you
glue them on and get their okay.  Chances are they will be satisfied if they
are warned in advance, but hopefully you can get at least reasonably close.  I
glue them on with contact cement; make sure it's lined up right the first
time!

You can get imitation ivory heads from Vagias Ventures (724 869-2842) in
several different sizes and color tones.  I got some last summer, and I guess
they'll do in a pinch, but in my opinion they don't match very well and look
fake.

When I quote a price, I include the retail cost of the keytop plus my normal
hourly rate, considering time for finding matching ivories, preparing the
surface, etc.  If you're not doing a tuning at the same time, you need to
charge something for making the visit to the home.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger