Recent widow looking at piano business

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 14 May 2000 09:25:45 -0400

Dear Veda,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  It's never easy to say good-bye to one
so close.  I hope that you have been able to keep up your health and
strength through this difficult time.

It pleases me to know that Jim enjoyed the 'List'.  I enjoy it too.  I hope
you'll become an active part of it, whether you decide to run your business
while hiring help, or learn to do the work yourself.  The list has a lot to
offer, technical help, the occasional laugh, and some friends that really do
exist on the other end of that phone line.

Definitely get together with your local PTG chapter if you can.  It doesn't
cost that much to join.

If you're thinking of hiring someone to do the initial technical and tuning
work, there's nothing that says you couldn't hire several people to do a
little work as opposed to one person to do a lot of work.  Those that are
the most knowledgeable probably have other businesses of their own that they
either have built or are building.

By all means, learn the technical end of tuning and repair.  It will be of
value to you, even if you don't do it all yourself.  I know of a dealer in
my area who has almost no technical knowledge whatsoever.  It is a definite
handicap for him.  I suspect you already have some technical knowledge from
having been with Jim for so many years.

At less than 50 years old, I see no reason to feel "too old" to do most
anything you really wanted to do with this business.  You already have a
very big start having most of the tools, parts, supplies and equipment.  To
replace all that stuff would probably amount to $10,000 or more, definitely
a handicap when most people start out.  And you already have a customer
base.  That might be an even bigger handicap for a newcomer.

Learning is a matter of putting yourself at the right places at the right
times and exposing yourself to useful information.  The national PTG
convention is coming up in Arlington, VA (July 5 - 9).  There are classes on
almost anything you could imagine.  If you have Jim's old Journals, there
are ads in the back for video tapes that would probably be a big help to
you.  There are many books available, some through the PTG, and others
through various supply houses that could be helpful.  There's always the
'List' here if you need someone to point you in the right direction.  If you
can get involved with your local chapter, there are probably people there
who you can turn to when you need something.  I've found that as a member of
the local chapter, many of these people have become my friends, many of
which I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I had a problem.  (I hope if they would
have a problem, that they wouldn't be shy about asking me either.  After
all, we're friends.)

Veda, I wish you good fortune, whatever direction you decide to travel.
It's not something anyone else can decide for you.  But we're all here if
there's anything we can do for you.  Keep in touch.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net