Chapter Technical

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 14 May 2000 09:28:45 EDT

Greetings,
    Thank you Avery,  I had a good time, too.  As always, I learned stuff by
being around "new" people.
inre:
<< "mystery" Kirnberger for Chopin. :-) After checking what was there, Ed
suggested that it
looked more like a Meantone type of temperament but even with that,
everything still went
well and quite a bit of interest was expressed. >>

   The offsets were rather strange, they allowed some oddball intervals to be
in strange places,  but still had five Just thirds near the bottom of the
circle (of 5ths).
    Chip Miller, the pianist who had played the Chopin on this,  commented
that there were a couple of mazurkas (mazurki?) that sounded "pretty wild"!
I would loved to have been there, as I think it would have been an example of
the music doing its job in a rather strange way. Possible proof that
temperament is a very flexible matter.   As Louie Armstrong said,  (and I
agree), "If it sounds good, it is good!"

Regards.
Ed Foote