Recent widow looking at piano business

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 14 May 2000 08:34:07 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/00 11:12:59 PM Central Daylight Time, veda88@usa.net
writes:

<< Thanks -- Veda Mallory >>
Veda,

I am terribly sorry for your loss.

I have often thought about these issues in regard to my own family.  I have
bought out a number of deceased tuners businesses and I can tell you it is
very difficult to get much for them.  I usually have gotten calls years later
when the family has given up trying to sell either the business or supplies
for anything close to what was paid for them.  If you can at all avoid it
don't go that route.  A couple of suggestions:

1)  Can you find a tuner to hire to do the work you don't know how to do?
You say you have a business degree, well run a business.  You may find you
will have to expand your customer bass to support both yourself and your
employee.  The challenge will be to find qualified help.  Check with your
local chapter of the PTG, also get word to the few remaining schools where
new techs are trained.  You may find a match here.

2) Take a crash course in tuning.  It is tough to learn over night but having
lived with it for a number of years you may know more than you realize and
just need someone to help you understand some basics.  I bet your husbands
clients will be understanding if your first attempts aren't up to snuff if
your trying to learn the trade.  And no your not too old.

The best of luck to you and don't hesitate to ask any question you may have
of this list.  Don't lurk, join in!  You will find everyone more than helpful.

Andrew Remillard