Full range damping?

Wed, 03 May 2000 07:00:53 -0500

Clyde,
At 07:16 05/03/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>I am not a piano designer, so if any of them respond, take their words
>more seriously than mine.

Neither am I, but I've sliced up a few for autopsies.

>  I figure that if even the most
>expensive pianos in the world do not have dampers all the way up to C8,
>then either it is not possible or feasible to do so.

Some real designers could correct me, but I believe the reason is that, at
some point, the ring time diminishes to the point that the accountants no
longer feel it is necessary to put in dampers.

>Still, I suppose it could be done, although you don't have much room to
>work up at the treble end where the strings are so short.  It certainly is
>not common; I've never heard of anyone doing it.

I have what I call a Mini-Monarch here.  It is what is left of a Monarch
45" console which, instead of carting off the the landfill, I adapted into
a training aid.  Not all students can make sense out of the drawings in the
books, and having action models and this cutaway to look at have been very
helpful.  Since it was a Baldwin product, it is almost exactly like one of
the drawings I use.

It consists of the right side of the piano, sliced about a foot in.   I
have 7 unisons strung up, and the action is complete with keys, dampers and
damper pedal.

Yes, dampers can be fit up to C88.

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions

***If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know",
.