George Gershwin's Music

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 22:47:59 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/00 9:27:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
JTTUNER@webtv.net (james turner) writes:

<< You mentioned something about George Gershwin's music and a default
 tuning.  Would you explain further?  Besides being a tuner, I also play
 the piano and the music of George Gershwin is my favorite.  What type of
 temperment would sound best with his music. >>

Ed said that Gershwin was part of the Equal Temperament (ET) era and so his
music sounds best in ET.  Although his music sometimes has complex harmonies
and chromatic modulations which many people think can only work in ET, it is
not really true.  Gershwin's music has lot's of blues and ragtime influences
from America's Black culture.

These forms are really best heard in a mild Well-Temperament such as a
Victorian or a very mild Meantone such as a 1/7 or 1/8 Comma Meantone.  When
using these kinds of temperaments and playing Gershwin's music in the key it
was written, you hear the small minor 2nds and 3rds which are often called
the "Blue Note" of Jazz or Blues music.  ET negates these qualities and
creates smooth modulations where none are called for.  Does this music belong
in an elevator or on the telephone while you've been put on hold or does it
belong in an atmosphere where there is liveliness and excitement?

I don't think you'll find any compelling argument as to why Gershwin must be
played in ET, only some of the absolute nonsense that you have seen about why
Bach, Mozart or Beethoven must be in ET.  These people simply can't enjoy
anything beyond the only sound that they have ever known and the concept that
the scale must be divided equally or else it is not rational.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin