quick quiz...

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:17:59 -0600

At 06:06 PM 24/06/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Terry,
>	Many/most is usually rest rail sandwich nuts loose, but if not on release
>or just after strike, could be jack regulating felt (against the spoon).
>That can be "voiced" or softened. Roger?

Hi Guy,
           Depending on the age, these actions have several causes for clicks,
1. The jack spoon felt, if it is a green woven variety, will make one heck
of a noise when it hits the spoon. Needling the felt with a long needle
glued into the end of a hammer shank can help reduce the noise.
The long term solution is to replace the felt button with the soft red
button felt.
2.  Drop screw leather, some models had that synthetic material, goes
harder than a rock after a few years, the only solution that I have found
is to replace it.
3. Hard knuckles,if the jack is too low it will click both up and down. A
darning needle worked between the core felt and leather to stretch the
leather a little will help, new knuckles will cure the problem.
4. Damper lift spoons too far out of the underlever and clicking on the
back of the key, trim a saw cut thickness from the back of the key.Pull the
action out wards slightly to check for this
5. Jack centre pins clicking against each other is quite common,
travel/space and rotate wippens for correct alignment.
And so the list can go on.
Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.