reconstruir - Mexico OLD THREAD

Piano Services Tech Dept TechDept@pianoservices.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:38:31 -0400

We are aware of the Mexican rebuilding facility and have had the opportunity
to see their work. In fact their service has been offered to us by one piano
wholesaler in particular. For $3000-4000 they will scrape,shim, and refinish
the soundboard and bridges. They will restring and replace the pin block and
refinish the case. They will also replace the hammers and shanks with Renner
parts. Not a bad price if you don't rebuild your own pianos. The factory
they purchased for this is the Baldwin factory in Juarez, Mex. It was
started, I believe by one of the main Techs for Baldwin who struck out on
his own with help from an other main Tech from another company. I don't know
if that was part of the sales pitch or not but I personally saw about 75
pianos from this facility at a piano wholesalers warehouse and the work
cosmetically looked pretty good, but I didn't get to get my hands into them.
We rebuild pianos from uprights to art case pianos so we were not overly
excited but I can see how some dealers could be. Oh well, to each his own.

Ed Mashburn, RPT

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin E. Ramsey RPT <ramsey@extremezone.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: reconstruir - Mexico OLD THREAD

    I'm a tech who regularly works on pianos that come from SAMA. Our
dealership, of whom I am one of the full-time staff technicians, has sent
piano's down there to be rebuilt. One thing that I have a complaint with on
these piano's is their damper work. Without fail, the dampers are all the
way down on the end of the keys. Damper timing is zero. It won't damp. After
resetting all the dampers, alot of the time they still won't damp because of
bad felt work. Damper wires bent every which way. That's just one complaint.
    To be fair, the re-stringing jobs look good, I don't know how they do
that so reasonably, but to say that deal prep is minimal is a joke.