sluggish hammers on spinet

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:48:32 -0700

I have had problems with centers becoming too loose with this approach.  My
problem with it is I don't seem to have any control over what is going to
happen.  I think 50% water is too high!

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of JCSwafford@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 11:56 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: sluggish hammers on spinet

In a message dated 6/22/00 2:44:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
Pianogreig@AOL.COM writes:

<< I've never before encountered a spinet (in this case a 1963 W****T***)
with
 all hammers so sluggish that moving them toward the strings by hand results
 in many floating back to rest & many at the extreme ends just staying at
the
 string.  Protek on hammer flanges showed little or no result; key bushings
 are not binding; strengthening return springs also had little effect.
Piano
 was not played or tuned for about 10 years. Any suggestions - aside from
 replacing it with a decent piano? (owner says it really has a beautiful
tone,
 of course). >>

Bruce,

My suggestion - Apply 50/50 alchohol/water solution in applicator bottle to
flange bushing cloth. Take aim and zip the solution across the span of the
butts in 3 seconds or less. Drape a blanket over action out of piano and put
one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve,
etc., hairdryers under the "tent." Check intermittently for results and
don't
leave them running for too long with the action unchecked. Your actual time
involvement in the project should be 10 minutes or so. This is sooooo easy.
Any numskull can do it.

Joel Swafford