Voicing & Owner Education

Pianogreig@AOL.COM Pianogreig@AOL.COM
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:50:47 EDT

Hi Terry - I also like to educate my customers but first I have to determine
which ones are educable; surprisingly some of the most obvious candidates are
the worst choices; ie. concert pianists, jazz pianists, certain young
competition students, etc.  An awful lot of piano players today like
hideously shrill, harsh piano tone - they call it "sizzle".  I've even tuned
concert instruments that are deliberately voiced like this; the harmonics
screaming for first place.  Did you ever see an interview with Elton John in
his home playing his personal screeching, out of tune white Yamaha?

Anyway, you made a start & perhaps your client will start listening to the
sound.  This does ocassionally happen & eventually he may ask you what you
were referring to, but then again, maybe not.

I find that instead of pounding while tuning these beasts, I play the notes
quietly for listening & tuning, & then when I think they're settled, give em
a good thump.  Pounding on this kind of instrument just numbs my senses.

Not long ago a client with a trashy old Kimball grand proudly boasted he'd
just bought a rebuilt Steinway M. Guess what, it sounded just like the old
Kimball, only harder to tune.

Bruce