Yamaha Disklavier service question

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Fri, 09 Jun 2000 21:57:14 -0700

You didn't mention that you ran the system through the calibration mode.  If
you haven't then this needs to be done, particularly after making regulation
adjustments.  Without a control box in front of me I can't recall the specific
sequence, (although I do this periodically), but with the unit off you hold the
"Stop" button and I think the + button at the same time while turning it on,
(are those the correct ones folks, I can't remember?).  Anyway a menu will pop
up and you will go through and select what I think is called "keyboard set up"
(?).  Once started the system will go through a comprehensive self calibration
by playing a series of diminished arpeggios at various volumes.  It checks
itself by verifying the intensity of the solenoids firing vs. the record key
sensors, thus it knows if it is properly playing each note at the correct
volume during play back.  If there are deviations it will adjust itself.  This
is most impressive on a grand because it runs through an additional check with
the shift pedal on.  Beware, it gets very LOUD toward the end of it's cycle!
Always advisable to do this BEFORE you tune it!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV