Yamaha Disklavier service question

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Fri, 09 Jun 2000 23:11:17 -0500

Dear Friends,

I recently did a complete service call on a new upright Yamaha equipped
with a Disklavier system.  Because the Disklavier is an
acoustic/electronic/MIDI hybrid instrument, it has specialized service
requirements in addition to the standard service requirements of every
acoustic piano.

Here is a listing of the work that I did during this service call:
1.  Record and Playback Test
2.  Check Error History
3.  Adjust Pedal Solenoids and pedals
4.  Remove action, tighten all action screws
5.  Check Keys for friction/sluggishness in key bushings and at the balance
rail
6.  Regulate Capstans
7.  Regulate Let-off
8.  Check other regulation points
9.  Tune at A-440
10.  Calibrate the Pedals
11.  Record and Playback test
12.  Enjoy listening to the beautiful music while chatting with customer.

Here is a question for technicians who regularly service Yamaha Disklavier
pianos.  I would like to know if you have a standard Disklavier service,
what work you do, and how long it usually takes.  If you have several
levels of service for Disklaviers (e.g. a basic service package, a standard
service package, and a deluxe service package), I would also like to know
in more detail about what this service entails.

If you also regularly service other types of hybrid pianos, such as Baldwin
ConcertMaster, QRS, Pianomation, or PianoDisk, I am also interested in
finding out the same information as it applies to these unique instruments.

My request is so that I can charge a fair price for my work, based on how
long the work _should_ take rather than on how long it actually does take.

Feel free to reply on the list or privately.

Thank you in advance!

David Vanderhoofven
Registered Piano Technician
Yamaha Trained Disklavier Technician
Joplin, MO
dkvander@joplin.com

P.S.  If either the charismatic Brian DeTar or the infamous Bill Brandom
are lurking on the list, thanks for the training!  If either of you would
consent to chime in on this topic, we would be honored!