help with broken tuning pin

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 10 Jun 00 15:24:44 +1000

Dale, Tony and list,

Dale wrote:

>I've seen two different tools in supply house catalogues: A simple tap and
>die, and something that has a reverse thread that looks like it threads
>itself onto the outer diameter of the broken pin. I have about 3/8ths of an
>inch of exposed pin to work with.
>Any one out there had the pleasure of experiencing this?

I have used the reverse thread tool you mentioned, without a problem, for
the past twenty five years.

Three eights of an inch of exposed pin is plenty for the above mentioned
tool to get a grip.

I doubt if you will have success with the 'easy out' approach, since the
pin has broken at the becket hole, probably in response to an over tight
pin block, or an over enthusiastic technician who has persisted in
'swinging' on the tuning pin, as apposed to turning it. The original
tuning pin has probably broken since its torque rating was exceeded. It
is unlikely that an 'east out' will be capable of delivering anything
like the amount of torque required to remove the pin.

Ron Overs

Overs Pianos, Sydney Australia
Email:   sec@overspianos.com.au
Website: www.overspianos.com.au