Cracked Keybed

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:16:40 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/00 6:54:44 PM Central Daylight Time, tjack@pacinfo.com
writes:

<< I have a client with a 1973 Everett console. The left front leg has gotten
 into a bind at one time and the leverage has cracked the keybed.  The crack
 is approximately 12 inches long.

 If this has been discussed before, can someone tell me the keywords to
 search the archives for?  If it has not, I sure would appreciate suggestions
 how to make a permanent, professional repair.

 Thank you,

 Terry Jack >>

I would recommend you remove the key frame, (remove the keys first), taking
careful note of the shims under the key frame. Once you have a flat keybed,
pry the crack apart the best you can, and get some sort of glue into the
crack. I would suggest a slow drying glue so that you will have plenty of
time to make adjustments. Once the glue is in place, clamp the keybed from
front to back. When the glue is dry, sand both sides of the keybed and, if
needed, finish it.

Good luck.

Willem