Cracked Keybed

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 20:33:14 -0500

>There might be a few more options that might work.  The way it's broken out
>can make a difference how it can be repaired.

 - or IF it can be repaired. Years back, a rather infamous local moving
company broke the corner off the keybed of a little Baldwin console.
Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty in the break, and a sheet of pressure
sensitive adhesived veneer on the bottom, applied by their brother in law
furniture fixer, didn't work all that well. I don't think anything would
have. The keybed material was something that looked like pressed flaked
cardboard, a sort of low grade masonite. Anybody know what this stuff was?
It had apparently worked just fine as a keybed for umpteen years, but once
broken, didn't leave much to glue back together. There are probably a whole
bunch of them still out there and still doing just fine in their unbroken
condition, but I ended up making a new keybed by stacking a couple of
sheets of Baltic Birch plywood to the appropriate thickness and replacing
this one.

Aside from that, I'd probably go with routing and inlay like Brian suggested.

Ron N