Mason & Risch question

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:12:15 EST

In a message dated 01/29/2000 11:20:45 PM Central Standard Time,
jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

<< List,

 I have a friend with a 1906 Mason & Risch upright player.  According to her,
 the case was designed by Gustav Stickley (maybe Stichle), and she wondered
 if the piano would be valuable because of the case.  Apparently, this
 designer's furniture commands a good price these days.  I have zero
 knowledge of any antique value of piano cases--does anyone out there know
 how to estimate the worth of this thing if it is a Stickley?  My friend also
 mentioned it was "mission" furniture, or something like that.

 The player has only the bellows, and not the action, so that much is no
 good, right?  The piano looks like it was once a quality piano, and has
 agraffes in all the treble.  The soundboard looks OK from what I could tell,
 and the tone is decent, I suppose.  If restored, it would need a new block,
 strings, action, etc.

 I suppose that what I really need to know is if the case is valuable as a
 piece of Stickley furniture, and would merit a complete restoration of the
 piano.

 Thanks much,

 John Formsma
 Blue Mountain, MS

John,

If the case was actually designed by Gustav Stickley it will have his
signature somewhere, usually on the back or bottom on furniture,  I don't
know where it might be on a piano.  If it is signed it would definitely merit
restoration.  It is a shame the player stack is missing as Mason and Risch
had there own player unit and finding one would be almost impossible.
Dave Koelzer