another reason! (was: Lower Back Pain)

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 08:50:25 -0800

> >  A practical tool that helps me avoid back pain is a mirror useful when
> >regulating uprights.
> >
> >  Detailed instuctions on making and using this mirror are published in
> >the April 1994 Piano Technicians Journal on page 17.
> >
> >Carman Gentile RPT
> >Redwood Chapter

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Carman. I've fished out the
Journal in question, and I'm taking the liberty of typing out your letter.
It's extremely clever, and I'm going to make one of your mirrors. I'll
try to describe the photos as best I can.

-----------------------
PT Journal, April, 1994, page 17, part way through Jim Harvey's "Technical
Forum":

[bold title:]
Ahh! TOOLS

Dear Mr. Harvey: Thanks to you and our colleagues, I have reaped the
benefits of the many practical and interesting articles from the _Journal_;
now it's time for me to make a contribution.

I thereby submit two items -- one of technical interest and the other of
general interest. The first includes my adaptations of a mirror and an
automatic center punch to assist me in regulating. The second describes
some interesting features on an 1887 upright. Also included is a drawing
and photos for you to use as you deem appropriate.

Of technical interest:
So this guy walks into the doctor's office ...
      Doc: What's your problem?
      Guy: A weak back
      Doc: When did it start?
      Guy: A week back.

Since I have a weak back, I perform as many upright regulation procedures
as possible while comfortably seated. I've found the following adaptation
to a simple mirror to be indispensable in enabling me to view the top of
the action without standing and stooping.

The mirror pictured was from an automobile sunvisor, but any mirror that
measures at least 5" x 6 " will work. I created a harness for the back that
consists of two pieces of nine inch string and a discarded pen cap.
[Drawing: back of mirror, two strings attached to back of mirror "via
holes, tape, glue, etc." Each string goes from one corner to the opposite
diagonal corner, passing through a hole made in the top of the pen cap en
route. There is enough slack that if you pull the pen cap away from the
back of the mirror, the strings will make about a 45 degree angle with the
back of the mirror.]
I drilled a hole through the cap large enough to allow both pieces of
string to slide through freely. The pen cap attaches to any tuning pin by
force-fit and the harness allows the mirror to be easily adjusted up or
down with one hand.
[Photo 1: side view of pen cap over a top-row tuning pin in the middle of
an upright. The bottom of the mirror is resting on the strings just below
the pressure bar, and the mirror is
angled outward at about 45 degrees, reflecting the action below.]
With the mirror slipped into place, I have a clear view of the top of the
action on which I need to perform letoff adjustments, hammer checking and
damper regulation.
[Photo 2: view of mirror and action looking upward from the lower right,
showing the hammers reflected in the mirror. Photo 3: Carman working on
regulation, his head level with the mirror.]
I also use the mirror during key levelling. With the bottom edge resting on
the keyframe and the back resting on my paunch, I have a nice close view of
the key fronts and can scrutinize the heights without squatting down.
[Photo 4: Top view from behind the piano, showing Carman looking down at
the mirror in front of the keys. No paunch to speak of ... <grin>]
Another tool I use for key leveling is an automatic spring-loaded center
punch with a 1/2" wooden dowel, 3" long with a 3/16" hole drilled through it.
[Photo 5: Automatic center punch next to 1/2" dowel. Dowel has a small
clamp (like an automotive hose clamp) around the top to keep it from
splitting. Looks like the clamps found on dampp chaser rods to hold the
telescoping ends. Small machine screw with a square nut.]
I attach the dowel to the center punch with a clamp and use the complete
tool to "tamp" down the punchings to settle them.
[Photo 6: diagonal view of keyboard from the top right. Mirror in front of
the keyboard,
white key lifted, other hand is putting the dowel over a balance rail pin,
center pin punch on top.]
Carman Gentile
Redwood Chapter

----------Jim Harvey replies-----------
Carman, as I mentioned in my acknowledgement letter to you, I have tried a
myriad of reflective devices, including shaving, camping, and even TV
repair mirrors, to accomplish what you've done here. In short, I _really_
like this idea for its simplicity and "portable" nature, and have already
hurt myself several times for not thinking of it myself! Nice touch with
the lab jacket too, for those times when precision surgery is being performed.

Incidentally, considering the amount of geography required for the existing
pictures, I'm going to hold off on the piano flicks for the time being.
Don't worry, they won't go into a black hole. And we'll even go along with
the jokes, as long as you keep the neat ideas coming!

Carman, anyone with an index ... did the pictures of the 1887 upright get
published? And if so, when?

Thanks

Susan