Mason & Risch question

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:57:12 -0500

At 01:00 AM 01/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>John,
<snip>
>Mason & Risch made an interesting "goof" in some old models of this era. You
may find two strings (a bi-chord) on the left tenor at the bass break for
which
there is no key or action component. A muting damper wedge can be found toward
the bottom of the string length.

Was it a goof? Maybe it was an attempt not to have the first tenor note at the
end of the bridge.
This thought just occurred to me, intentional distancing from the end.

>Is it worth restoring? Could be! Add its present value to the cost of
restoration. If this figure is less than or equal to the potential value, go
ahead. What you want to avoid is a charge of $3000. on a $300. piano which
could increase its value to $1500. Only sentimental value (or stupidity) can
overrule common sense.

A player unit can be retrofitted.  Otherwise it would make a nifty computer
workstation if it
is a non-collector's item.

Research, research, research.

Jon page

>John Lillico, RPT,
>Oakville, Ontario, Canada
>
>>List,
>>
>>I have a friend with a 1906 Mason & Risch upright player.  According to her,
>>the case was designed by Gustav Stickley (maybe Stichle), and she wondered
>>if the piano would be valuable because of the case.  Apparently, this
>>designer's furniture commands a good price these days.  I have zero
>>knowledge of any antique value of piano cases--does anyone out there know
>>how to estimate the worth of this thing if it is a Stickley?  My friend also
>>mentioned it was "mission" furniture, or something like that.
>>
>>The player has only the bellows, and not the action, so that much is no
>>good, right?  The piano looks like it was once a quality piano, and has
>>agraffes in all the treble.  The soundboard looks OK from what I could tell,
>>and the tone is decent, I suppose.  If restored, it would need a new block,
>>strings, action, etc.
>>
>>I suppose that what I really need to know is if the case is valuable as a
>>piece of Stickley furniture, and would merit a complete restoration of the
>>piano.
>>
>>Thanks much,
>>
>>John Formsma
>>Blue Mountain, MS