"quite listenable, not perfect, but enjoyable" (was Re: )

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:15:09 -0500

At 01:12 AM 01/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
>Fairchild's tuning was judged by the professional piano technicians that
>witnessed it to be good enough to be considered a valid tuning. I think it
is
>best left at that.<snip>
>Bill Bremmer RPT

At the time I witnessed Steve perform this super-human feat the PTG tuning
exam
did not employ the scrutiny of an ETD (ETD's were not quite legitimate then).
A three tuner panel appraised the worthiness of the applicant's temperament
construction, octave placement and stability.
A tuning fork was the only pitch reference.

Being a newbie then, after the demo and everyone left the room, I 'tested' the
temperament wanting to glean interval structure. Another tuner who was with
my smiled and shook his head incredulously saying, "How can he do that".

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net