Mason & Risch question

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:49:54 -0500

I can not hazzard a guess on price this early in the morning :-)

But he other two factors make it a desireable piano for both musicians and
furnitre enthuiasts. M&R is a very good piano in and of itself. The mission
style commands a premium price from its collectors and if in fact it is a
Gustav Stickley even more so, there should be his distinctive stamp pressed
into the wood surface somewhere. A renderring of it is here:
http://users.erols.com/vindog/Mission_Furniture.html

A collector in CA would pay more for it than someone in your area, I would
think.

If there is room for an Ampico player stackin there, I have an orphaned unit
for sale :-)  Otherwise a standard action could be retrofitted or a
Pianomation
tpye unit can be installed.

If the piano is for sale, a mention on the Mechanical Music Digest would get
the
attention of the player piano collector community.
rolls@foxtail.com

Good Luck,

Jon Page

At 11:05 PM 01/29/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I have a friend with a 1906 Mason & Risch upright player.  According to her,
>the case was designed by Gustav Stickley (maybe Stichle), and she wondered
>if the piano would be valuable because of the case.  Apparently, this
>designer's furniture commands a good price these days.  I have zero
>knowledge of any antique value of piano cases--does anyone out there know
>how to estimate the worth of this thing if it is a Stickley?  My friend also
>mentioned it was "mission" furniture, or something like that.
>
>The player has only the bellows, and not the action, so that much is no
>good, right?  The piano looks like it was once a quality piano, and has
>agraffes in all the treble.  The soundboard looks OK from what I could tell,
>and the tone is decent, I suppose.  If restored, it would need a new block,
>strings, action, etc.
>
>I suppose that what I really need to know is if the case is valuable as a
>piece of Stickley furniture, and would merit a complete restoration of the
>piano.
>
>Thanks much,
>
>John Formsma
>Blue Mountain, MS