"quite listenable, not perfect, but enjoyable" (was Re: )

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:12:51 EST

In a message dated 1/29/00 3:35:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
keyboard@cysource.com writes:

<< As usual, my point was completely lost!  I must have some difficulty
 expressing myself.  I was attempting to determine whether Steve
 Fairchild's 5-minute piano tuning was ever checked for ACCURACY by ANYONE.
 And, again
 as usual, instead of a straight answer, the responses take the form of
personal
 attacks.  Believe me, I am under no "illusions", I am certainly not naive
 and I am
 obviously not the one who is mixed up.   >>

This used to happen to me with just about every post I wrote.  I found it
hard to believe some of the conclusions people would jump to.  When you can't
hear the person speaking, you don't get the all important factor of tone of
voice and also you don't see the body language.  My advice is to just be cool
about it if someone flies off the handle.

Every so often, people bring up the Exam as a standard for comparison.  In a
lot of ways it makes sense to do this but in this instance, Fairchild's quick
tuning, there is no way to apply the Exam standards to it.

First of all, the piano used in the Exam is tuned by committee and detuned in
a specific way, alternately sharp and flat.  This is done deliberately so as
to not present a pitch raise or lowering problem.  The recent threads have
talked about pitch raising a piano, then fine tuning it as quickly as
possible, unisons and all.  In the Exam, only one string per note is tuned
and judged.  There are different tolerances for the starting note, A4, the
temperament octave, the midrange, the treble, high treble and bass.

Only the unisons from C3 to B4 are evaluated and this is regardless of their
pitch as relates to temperament.  Stability is also judged.  No one ever
talked about whether you might be able to knock one of the unisons in
Fairchild's demonstration out of tune with a few good test blows.

His goal was like many other world's records, to find the absolute limit that
someting can be taken to.  In this case it was just to see how fast you could
move through a piano and get some reasonably good results.  If the piano
really didn't sound good afterwards, it would have been judged to be an
invalid attempt.

No one ever suggested that this should be what people do on a regular basis.
What has come to light is that many of us can do a reasonably good job of
tuning the piano in an hour or less.  I like to think that I leave every
piano that I tune in a state that would meet Exam standards and usually like
to think that it would meet the high end of those standards.  But there is
really no way to test any of my tunings or anyone else's exactly the way they
do in an Exam situation.

I can usually do a really fine job of tuning a piano that would meet the
expectations of any customer and satisfy my own concept of professional
standards in less than an hour.  But I also know that if I want it to be any
better, I can easily take 2 or 3 hours.  On some of the pianos that I tuned
at Conventions for an evening recital, I literally took all day to tune it
and still wasn't completely satisfied that it was "perfect".

When I met with Virgil Smith RPT in Chicago last September, I told the
audience that I had in fact, never really finished tuning any piano, ever.  I
had either quit when I had no more time or I left it when I felt that it was
"acceptable" under the circumstances, but never has there been a really
"perfect" tuning.  At that meeting, I took an hour and a half and was done
just in time to go to dinner.  I would have much rather done one of my all
day work ups of a real custom tuning but the generic program for the Steinway
M that I have worked just fine.

Fairchild's tuning was judged by the professional piano technicians that
witnessed it to be good enough to be considered a valid tuning. I think it is
best left at that.  The Exam is a theoretical and very specific exercise.  We
may, from time to time refer to certain tolerances that it uses as a way of
establishing our own tolerances but we have to bear in mind that a person
does not really tune the whole piano in the PTG Exam the way everyone must do
every time in our daily work.  This means, in the end, that the PTG Tuning
Exam, as a whole, cannot be used as a valid way to judge any real life piano
tuning.

Sincerely,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin