Mason & Risch question

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:00:00 -0500

John,

Mason & Risch of that era was a quality, Toronto-based manufacturer. The serial number should be in the 25,000 range. I can't comment on the case design except that it seems to have been commonplace for manufacturers to consult designers. The fact that it was a player (no chance of restoration) means that it is just an extremely large old upright. Still tunable, it would only be worth about $300. here, assuming that the cabinet shows visual checking, wear and tear. No antique value with this one!

Mason & Risch made an interesting "goof" in some old models of this era. You may find two strings (a bi-chord) on the left tenor at the bass break for which there is no key or action component. A muting damper wedge can be found toward the bottom of the string length.

Is it worth restoring? Could be! Add its present value to the cost of restoration. If this figure is less than or equal to the potential value, go ahead. What you want to avoid is a charge of $3000. on a $300. piano which could increase its value to $1500. Only sentemental value (or stupidity) can overrule common sense.

John Lillico, RPT,
Oakville, Ontario, Canada