Empty Key lead holes

Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:52:25 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Antares <antares@EURONET.NL>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 29, 2000 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Empty Key lead holes

> Dear Pianotech listers,
>
> Although a bit late, I would like to react to this subject about empty key
> lead holes :
> If and when I work on an instrument which has holes in the keys from
former
> technicians, I personally find it necessary to plug them with key wood.
>
> First of all, it leaves behind a nicer and cleaner feeling, secondly, more
> empty holes in one key might easily influence the former balance of levers
> and weights, and lastly, it gives us the opportunity to place a new and/or
> different key lead in the place of the former empty space.
>
> I think it looks better, it is more professional and it also leaves behind
> better impression with the customer.
>
> my opinion (;>)
>
> Antares

I agree.

I find these empty holes somehow unsettling.  I also find it necessary to
plug them, although I don't always use spruce or sugar pine.  Sometimes,
when the keysticks have been really mangled by sloppy drilling and/or
excessive leads placed to close together and there are numerous cracks
running through the center of the keystick, I use epoxy filled with spruce
wood flour.  In either case, I like a nicely filled and trimmed keystick.

Del