Unusal soundboard ribs

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:05:18 EST

Another unusual rib configuration is found in the Julius Bauer pianos.  They
have ribs on both sides of the soundboard.  In their later models they didn't
have any truces even on their 6' pianos.  The inner rim and outer rim were
separated with the inner rim screwed to the massive plate (weighs more than
any concert grand plated I've seen).  Bauer was experimenting with all sorts
of plate and soundboard configurations to reduce energy losses.  These pianos
sounded surprising good.  It always amazes me how forgiving the piano can be
regardless what one may do to its various components.

Andrew Remillard